My Best Friend : Studio Images

This is the first in the series to showcase the doll side of the concept. It measures 34" x 46."

  Next, I add some values and the background pattern.

Next, I add some values and the background pattern.

  Here I added a yellow/green glaze to spice things up.

Here I added a yellow/green glaze to spice things up.

  The vessel was originally sitting on a table with squares that would become postage stamps underneath as a symbol of disconnected communication, and thought it would represent the loneliness I wanted to capture in this piece. 

The vessel was originally sitting on a table with squares that would become postage stamps underneath as a symbol of disconnected communication, and thought it would represent the loneliness I wanted to capture in this piece. 

  All of the doll paintings will have an insect companion. Personally, I find insects to be fascinating creatures and I have used their images in numerous paintings. 

All of the doll paintings will have an insect companion. Personally, I find insects to be fascinating creatures and I have used their images in numerous paintings. 

  I wanted the outside to be very lush and garden-like to contrast the interior’s desert-like climate.

I wanted the outside to be very lush and garden-like to contrast the interior’s desert-like climate.

  I used the photo reference only as a starting point for the pattern. 

I used the photo reference only as a starting point for the pattern. 

  I have added another yellow glaze on the background. The colors had been getting a bit garish, and I wanted to unify them a little more. I also changed my mind on the table/stamp concept and went with a water garden instead.

I have added another yellow glaze on the background. The colors had been getting a bit garish, and I wanted to unify them a little more. I also changed my mind on the table/stamp concept and went with a water garden instead.

  I started playing with pattern on the glass, which was tricky, but something I want to continue to play with in other pieces. 

I started playing with pattern on the glass, which was tricky, but something I want to continue to play with in other pieces. 

  So, at this point I had called the piece done…but the size seemed to call for something more grand and less static/repetitive.

So, at this point I had called the piece done…but the size seemed to call for something more grand and less static/repetitive.

  The floating pods at the bottom seemed odd to me. Were they attached to the bottom of the pond or had they fallen from a tree? 

The floating pods at the bottom seemed odd to me. Were they attached to the bottom of the pond or had they fallen from a tree? 

  So I risked a lot by bringing the plants in the foreground. If they failed, I would have a mess and possibly a ruined painting on my hands. 

So I risked a lot by bringing the plants in the foreground. If they failed, I would have a mess and possibly a ruined painting on my hands. 

 My thought was to encase them in a yellow blossom. On the upper right you can see the start of the “Boo-Boo Berries” which became the solution to the pod problem or the cover-up for my “boo-boo.”

My thought was to encase them in a yellow blossom. On the upper right you can see the start of the “Boo-Boo Berries” which became the solution to the pod problem or the cover-up for my “boo-boo.”

 Detail of his face. 

Detail of his face. 

 Detail of his friend.

Detail of his friend.

 Detail of the berries. 

Detail of the berries. 

 The finished painting. 

The finished painting.