About the Artist
Amy Kollar Anderson creates surreal narrative paintings inspired by natural forms, decorative arts and her love of animals. Her work has been shown internationally and featured in the publication, Imagine the Imagination: New Visions of Surrealism. Anderson was awarded three of the Reimagining Works commissions for the Dayton Metro Library in 2014-15 and the Montgomery County Artist Fellowship Grant in 2007.
She received her B.F.A. from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and went on to a Master of Humanities, with a focus in Fine Arts, at Wright State University.
Amy Kollar Anderson lives with her husband and their four cats in the birthplace of aviation, Dayton, Ohio. Until recently, she was the Gallery Coordinator for the Rosewood Gallery, but left that position to pursue her art career full-time.
Countless hours of my childhood were spent playing with dolls, observing animals and collecting rocks. The dolls were my way of exploring interactions between beings and I would create elaborate costumes for them out of scraps of fabric and found objects. This play honed my love of story telling. My paintings are narratives that explore a variety of issues including communication, obsession and transformation. Since becoming a full-time artist in 2014, I have spent more time being inspired by the plants in my yard and these bizarre creatures that inhabit my studio called cats. This is a time of experimentation for me. My style, coined Nouveaudelia, combines Psychedelic and Art Nouveau aesthetics in which I incorporate realistically rendered forms and decorative elements with untraditional paint colors and material choices, such as mica, metal foils and glitter to create images that both entice and repel the viewer.
Selected Awards and Grants
- 2015 : Commission for ReImagining Works - Dayton Public Library, Miamisburg Branch
- 2015 : Commission for ReImagining Works - Dayton Public Library, New Lebanon Branch
- 2014 : Commission for ReImagining Works - Dayton Public Library, Northwest Branch
- 2013 : People's Choice Award - Mystery Build Competition
- 2011 : 3rd Place - Surreal Salon - Baton Rouge Gallery - Juror Chris Ryniak
- 2009 : People's Choice Award - Creative Soul Dayton Exhibiton
- 2007 : MCACD Fellowship Grant
- 2006 : Best of Show - The Ohio State Fair Fine Arts Exposition - Professional Division
- 2006 : 1st Place - Dayton Society of Painters and Sculptures 60th Anniversary Spring Juried Show - Oil and Acrylic Division
- 2006 : Joan Cord Memorial Award - The Woman's Art Club of Cincinnati: 113th Annual Juried Exhibition
- 2003 : Best of Show - The Beloved T-Shirt Show
- 2003 : 3rd Place - Professional Painter Category - Springfield Museum of Art Members' Juried Exhibition
- 2002 : Award Winner - Artist Unknown Competition, Dayton City Paper
- 2001 : Best of District - Art About Town
- 2001 : Purchase Award: The Marjorie Kovler Center for the Treatment of Survivors of Torture
- 2016 : Art 360°: Contemporary Art Hatching Across Ohio, Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH
- 2015 : XO Numia Solo Show: Ann Miller Gallery, Wittenberg University, Springfield, OH
- 2015 : Quondam Solo Show : Studio 14 Fine Art Gallery, Tipp City, OH
- 2015 : Folktales and Legends: An Exhibition Without Borders : John Michael Kohler Arts Center, Sheboygan, WI
- 2014 : Observatarie : Amy Kollar Anderson, Laine Bachman and Carrie Longley : Gallery West, Cuyahoga Community College/Western Campus, Parma, OH
- 2014 : Identification Solo Show : ArtStreet Gallery, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH
- 2013 : Just Passing Through Solo Show : Rigsby Contemporary Museum, Columbus, OH
- 2012 : Passage Solo Show : Fitton Center for Creative Arts, Hamilton, OH
- 2012 : Surreal Salon : Baton Rouge Gallery, Baton Rouge, LA
- 2012 : 49th Juried Competition : Masur Museum of Art, Monroe, LA
- 2011 : Rise : Create:Fixate, Los Angeles, CA
- 2011 : Featured Artist : The Hive Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- 2011 : Here's Looking at You : Portraits in Ohio, Riffe Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2011 : Mad Monster A Go-Go : Memento Tattoo Salon and Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2010 : The Laboratory Solo Show : Gallery 510, Dayton, OH
- 2010 : 5th Anniversary Avatar Show : The Hive Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- 2010 : Flies in the Land of Milk and Honey : Instinct Gallery, Des Moines, IA
- 2009 : Strange Figurations : Limner Gallery, Hudson, NY
- 2009 : It's All About ©POP, The End is Near : ©POP Gallery, Detroit, MI
- 2009 : Dirty Show X : Bert's Warehouse Theater, Detroit, MI
- 2008 : Under Glass Solo Show : Goloka Gallery, Oregon Division, Dayton, OH
- 2008 : Other Worlds/Altered Visions : Indianapolis Art Center, IN
- 2007 : Group Show : The Hive Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- 2006 : Flights of Imagination : Museum de Giger, Switzerland
- 2004 : Paranormal Taxonomy Solo Show : Full Support Gallery, Santa Cruz, CA
- 2004 : Fantastic Voyage: Imagining Science and Nature : Dayton Art Institute, Dayton, OH
- 2003 : Brave Destiny : Williamsburg Art And Historical Center, Brooklyn, NY
- 2003 : Small Works : ROY G BIV Gallery, Columbus, OH
Meredith Moss. "Art enhances new Dayton Metro Library Northwest Branch." Dayton Daily News 23 Apr. 2016: Web.
Vivienne Machi. "DVAC’s newest program connects six artists to local art lovers." Dayton Daily News 13 Mar. 2016: Web.
Dillon, Pamela. "Amy Kollar Anderson on TV and beer : Artist stretches after leaving Rosewood." Dayton Daily News 3 Sept. 2015: Web.
Hutten, CC. "A new identity." Dayton City Paper 14-20 Jan. 2014: 13. Print.
McConville, Shayna V. "Beyond the canvas." Dayton City Paper 5-11 March 2013: 10. Print.
Moss, Meredith. "MetroParks kicks off birthday gala." Dayton Daily News 7 April 2013: D3, D8. Print.
Rollins, Ron. "BP disaster stirs local artist." Dayton Daily News 6 June 2010: D19. Print.
Dillon, Pamela. "Lewis Carroll writings inspire Dayton artist." Dayton Daily News 6 Feb. 2011: D20. Print.
Starr, Ann. "Ohio portraits come in many styles and moods." The Other Paper 17 Feb. 2011: 16. Print.
Dillon, Pamela. "Murals enliven East Third Street." Dayton Daily News. Print.
Dillon, Pamela. "Rubber Duck Regatta will attract artists to make splash." Dayton Daily News 9 May 2010: D19. Print.
Moss, Meredith. "Safe place to grow theme of Daybreak, DVAC project." Dayton Daily News 16 April 2010: D12. Print.
Yalkut, Jud. "Obsession and Containment." Dayton City Paper 24-30 Sept. 2008: 6. Print.
Dillon, Pamela. "Artist tries to find a balance in opposing ideas." Dayton Daily News 21 Sept. 2008. Print.