The White Beast : Studio Images

The White Beast. Acrylic and glitter on panel, 12"x12". Commission painting inspired by the band, Beasto Blanco.

The piece began with a pencil sketch directly on the panel.

The piece began with a pencil sketch directly on the panel.

Defining some dark areas with some Antique Gold paint.

Defining some dark areas with some Antique Gold paint.

Layered in some highlights with Titanium White.

Layered in some highlights with Titanium White.

Then I really began to develop the values to create the sense of volume.

Then I really began to develop the values to create the sense of volume.

At this point, I am not pleased with the horns, so after playing around with the image on my computer, I try a different orientation.

At this point, I am not pleased with the horns, so after playing around with the image on my computer, I try a different orientation.

When I switched the horns around, i sanded the area, which left a strange glossy spot on the surface. I resolved this issue by adding a thin layer of black glitter. It covered that error and created a nice texture around the top of the skull.

When I switched the horns around, i sanded the area, which left a strange glossy spot on the surface. I resolved this issue by adding a thin layer of black glitter. It covered that error and created a nice texture around the top of the skull.

Toned down the glitter and incorporated it into the surface more.

Toned down the glitter and incorporated it into the surface more.

Still not happy with the horns, so I tried them in a dark value.

Still not happy with the horns, so I tried them in a dark value.

I really wanted the background to be dark, but I am not sure I like the dark horns against the dark background.

I really wanted the background to be dark, but I am not sure I like the dark horns against the dark background.

Brought in a blue glow to the interior of the mouth.

Brought in a blue glow to the interior of the mouth.

Finally concluded that the horns were horrible and needed a total revamp. I decided to play around with asymmetrical format.

Finally concluded that the horns were horrible and needed a total revamp. I decided to play around with asymmetrical format.

Adding color to the horns made it possible to bring more color to the skull as if the horns are glowing and reflecting onto it.

Adding color to the horns made it possible to bring more color to the skull as if the horns are glowing and reflecting onto it.

The head is looking great, but now I hate the pile of "rocks" below it.

The head is looking great, but now I hate the pile of "rocks" below it.

Contrasting textures with some fur.

Contrasting textures with some fur.

A decent start, but the results were a little weak.

A decent start, but the results were a little weak.

The first attempt was close, but not quite right. Getting closer now.

The first attempt was close, but not quite right. Getting closer now.

The finished panel before framing. 

The finished panel before framing.